We encourage applications from people from all backgrounds and aim to have a workforce that represents the wider society that we serve. We pride ourselves on being an employer of choice. We champion diversity, inclusion and wellbeing and aim to create a workplace where everyone feels valued and a sense of belonging. To find out more about how we do this visit: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/ministry-of-justice/about/equality-and-diversity.
Overview of the job
The job holder will support the Policy Team, and contribute to the Managers planning and managing of policy development and implementation for a group of policies.
The job holder will work flexibly across the full range of policies in line with their Team’s priorities as determined by managers. The job holder will be expected to work closely with their policy manager colleagues to share information, ensure consistency and develop good practice.
Responsibilities, Activities & Duties
The job holder will be required to carry out the following responsibilities, activities and duties:
• Draft business cases and impact assessments for the introduction/review of operational / non-operational policies.
• Provide support to the policy teams in the review of existing and the development of new policies
• Research and prepare first draft responses to Parliamentary Questions, Minister’s Cases, Judicial Reviews and complicated Freedom of Information requests and Treat Official correspondence. Provide substantive responses without supervision to straightforward Freedom of Information requests and Treat Official correspondence.
• Respond via email, phone or letter to policy queries from prison staff, NOMS colleagues, members of the public and prisoners.
• Provide advice on application of existing policy and related processes
• Draft the response and defence to less complex legal challenges concerning the policies and their implementation, co-ordinating with other policy leads and liaising with other stakeholders, legal advisers and Treasury Solicitors.
• Devise the most effective and efficient way of developing and implementing policies, engaging with a wide range of policy and other stakeholders across the broader criminal justice system as well as within NOMS: consulting during the development of new policies and communicating as necessary to maintain their confidence in NOMS.
• Provide draft responses and comments for NOMS responses to reports such as IMB and HMCIP in relation to recommendations that they make
• Maintain system databases
• Take minutes of meetings, as required.
The duties/responsibilities listed above describe the post as it is at present and is not intended to be exhaustive. The Job holder is expected to accept reasonable alterations and additional tasks of a similar level that may be necessary. Significant adjustments may require re-examination under the Job Evaluation scheme and shall be discussed in the first instance with the Job Holder.
• Changing and Improving
• Making Effective Decisions
• Communicating and Influencing
• Working Together
• Managing a Quality Service
• Delivering at Pace