We encourage applications from people from all backgrounds and aim to have a workforce that represents the wider society that we serve. We pride ourselves on being an employer of choice. We champion diversity, inclusion and wellbeing and aim to create a workplace where everyone feels valued and a sense of belonging. To find out more about how we do this visit: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/ministry-of-justice/about/equality-and-diversity.
Overview of the job
This is an administrative job in an establishment.
Job holders within this Group Profile provide administrative support to managers and frontline staff by undertaking transactional work in a particular area.
The job holder is expected to be competent in their area of work, any specific qualifications or training required will be detailed in the relevant job description.
This is a non-operational role which may involve contact with prisoners depending on their area of work. This role has no line management responsibilities.
Responsibilities, Activities and Duties
The job holder will be required to carry out the following responsibilities, activities and duties:
- Organise, produce and maintain accurate records for area of work
- Act as contact point for all communications to the team. Prioritise and distribute communications to the appropriate person or relevant department in establishment
- Complete monitoring returns for area of work
- Input requisitions on to the finance database and process requisitions for defined area of work
- Co-ordinate any awareness sessions for area of work
- Prepare paperwork for checking by manager, conducting initial checks as required
- Correspond with relevant stakeholders and agencies to ensure that they are aware of information so that information is adequately shared
- Maintain and check establishment databases, manual filing systems and logs of information, responding within agreed timescales and producing reports as required
- Collate information relating to relevant Service Delivery Indicators (SDI's)
- Act as secretary to meetings as required including organising agenda, taking, distributing minutes and action points
Job Descriptions relating to this Group Profile
The job holder once in post will be in matched to a job description; a sample list is shown below. The post is rotational so the job holder could during their career carry out the role of different job descriptions.
Business Administrator : Activity Hub
Business Administrator : Business Hub
Business Administrator: Equality & Diversity
Business Administrator : Management Coordinator
Business Administrator : Offender Management Hub
Business Administrator : People Hub
Business Administrator : Security
The duties/responsibilities listed above describe the post as it is at present and is not intended to be exhaustive. The Job holder is expected to accept reasonable alterations and additional tasks of a similar level that may be necessary. Significant adjustments may require re-examination under the Job Evaluation scheme and shall be discussed in the first instance with the Job Holder
An ability to fulfil all spoken aspects of the role with the confidence through the medium of English or (where specified in Wales) Welsh.
• Changing and Improving
• Communicating and Influencing
• Working Together
• Managing a Quality Service
• Delivering at Pace
Hours of Work (Unsocial Hours) Allowances
37 hour working week
• All candidates are subject to security and identity checks prior to taking up post.
• All external candidates are subject to 6 months’ probation. Internal candidates are subject to probation if they have not already served a probationary period within HMPPS.
• All staff are required to declare whether they are a member of a group or organisation which HMPPS consider to be racist.