This exciting role will be to join a small team of Probation Staff in a high performing Probation Delivery Unit. We are a friendly and dedicated team of staff who provide a quality Administrative support service to all Probation Practioners across a range of work areas including Court work, Sentence Management, Resettlement and Reception. Beverley office has parking on site.
We encourage applications from people from all backgrounds and aim to have a workforce that represents the wider society that we serve. We pride ourselves on being an employer of choice. We champion diversity, inclusion and wellbeing and aim to create a workplace where everyone feels valued and a sense of belonging. To find out more about how we do this visit: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/ministry-of-justice/about/equality-and-diversity.
Overview of the job
This is an administrative job within the National Probation Service.
The jobholder will provide administrative support within the National Probation Service (NPS), ensuring that staff and service users are supported through efficient processes, maintaining administration systems within specified timescales in order to promote the achievement of team and Divisional objectives.
In line with NPS policies and procedures, the job holder must at all times demonstrate a commitment to equality and inclusion and an understanding of their relevance to the work they do.
This role may involve some out of hours work.
The post holder must adhere to all policies in respect of the sensitive/confidential nature of the information handled whilst working in this position.
Responsibilities, Activities & Duties
The job holder will be required to carry out the following responsibilities, activities and duties:
· Responsible for setting up and maintaining accurate offender and victim information on relevant approved databases.
· Ensure the effective administration of referrals to and relationships between offender management, victims, interventions, service providers and external agencies and partnerships to enhance positive outcomes, manage risk, and reduce reoffending.
· Prepare, maintain and collate case and other records, files and management information, in accordance with the standards required.
· Receive and distribute information and communications in an appropriate manner, e.g. telephone, paper, e-mail.
· Provide cover for an effective and efficient reception and telephone enquiry service
· Act as single point of contact within unit for specialist area of work as required
· Deal fairly, effectively and firmly with a range of Service users, some of whom may be in crisis, distress or who may display inappropriate or aggressive behaviour, and to seek appropriate support in accordance with the circumstances and office procedures.
· Make practical arrangements such as appointments, directions, etc., for the implementation of the Sentence Plan.
· Carry out enforcement administration as required.
· Where necessary, issue petty cash /vouchers/warrants for travel costs etc, maintaining appropriate records in line with local office financial procedures.
· Organise the availability of appropriate equipment, materials, and facilities for activities relating to the management of cases.
· Report faulty equipment and / or materials to Manager and arrange for replacement/ repair as agreed.
· Maintain appropriate systems to ensure the effective use of general unit resources and make recommendations for improvement as necessary.
· Undertake specific Visor administration tasks in accordance with the procedures
· Attend meetings as appropriate. Provide support to meetings as required including organising agenda, taking and , distributing notes/minutes and action points
· Ensure all activities are conducted in accordance with Health and Safety policies and procedures, undertake equipment tests as required.
· Provide cover within the unit and to other units within the LDU and Division as appropriate.
· Carry out safeguarding children duties in accordance with the NPS statutory responsibilities and agency policies
· Demonstrate pro-social modelling skills by consistently reinforcing pro-social behaviour and attitudes, challenge anti-social behaviour and attitudes.
· To work within the aims and values of NPS and NOMS
The duties/responsibilities listed above describe the post as it is at present and is not intended to be exhaustive. The Job holder is expected to accept reasonable alterations and additional tasks of a similar level that may be necessary. Significant adjustments may require re-examination under Job Evaluation and shall be discussed in the first instance with the Job Holder.
· Delivering at Pace
· Making Effective Decisions
· Working Together
· Changing and Improving
· Managing a Quality Service
· Strong communication skills (verbal and written) and ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of individuals, including those who may present difficult or aggressive behaviour
· Use and work on own initiative
An ability to fulfil all spoken aspects of the role with confidence through the medium of English or (where specified in Wales) Welsh
· Good keyboard and IT skills including proficiency in MS Office Word, and basic skills in Excel
· Possess basic numeric skills.
· Ability to use databases