Requisition ID: 260008Relocation Authorized: None Requisition Posting End Date: Grade: 25-26 Position to be Panel Interviewed? Yes Telework Type: Part-Time Telework Employee Referral Amount:
We are currently recruiting for long term career professionals, with an initial assignment supporting HS2. As a Delivery Partner, Bechtel provides expert engineering, environmental, engagement and project management support for the Phase 2b of HS2. We focus on the delivery of Hybrid Bill through the parliamentary process and advice to HS2's sponsor, the Department for Transport, to assist his Majesty's Government in making and implementing investment decisions.
HS2 is a hugely important project for the country as it will generate economic opportunities for those communities and businesses between Birmingham, Manchester, East Midlands and beyond. HS2 will play an increasingly important part in the post Covid-19 pandemic recovery and this team is a key part of the engine to make this happen.
This role has an anticipated start date of October 2022 and permits part time remote working. This provides the opportunity to work from home part of the time and in the Birmingham office approximately 5 days per fortnight.
As an Environment Manager at HS2 you will manage and assure the area environmental assessment work (including associated assessments) developed for the hybrid Bill for Phase 2b in accordance with organisational, sponsor and parliamentary requirements.
About the job
· Manage the Area Team’s environmental assessment requirements and deliverables, working in close association with the rest of the Area Team (particularly the Area Route Engineers), the other Phase Two Area Teams HS2 Ltd’s Technical Directorate and the Phase Two Central Environment Team. Ensure all client requirements are met for the hybrid Bill and Additional Provisions (and in particular the Environmental Statements and Supplementary Environmental Statements (and associated assessments).
· As part of the Area Team, provide client advice to develop environmental design solutions and ensure that environmental sustainability issues continue to be embedded as an integral part of the project design in accordance with the HS2 Sustainability Policy and Sustainability Approach Document.
· Work collaboratively with other technical specialists including engineers, construction experts, architects, property advisors, environmental and sustainability specialists to achieve high quality integrated designs and develop appropriate and cost balanced mitigation strategies and solutions
· Ensure requirements for environmental consultants are developed in a timely manner, working collaboratively with the Client and Project Integration team.
· Support the management of consultants appointed to undertake area environmental assessment (including transport and equalities impact assessment) and design in order to input on the environmental and sustainability aspects and ensure compliance with HS2 Ltd assumptions in relation to design, construction and operation.
· As part of HS2 Ltd’s assurance process, review and critically appraise all area environmental deliverables produced by consultants to ensure compliance with the organisation’s technical and sponsor requirements, environmental commitments, environmental law and regulation (including parliamentary requirements) to enable them to be confidently defended before Select Committee.
· Support area technical stakeholder engagement (working closely with the Central Environment Team and Stakeholder Team) via various different forums to obtain information to inform the development of the area (and, where necessary, route wide) assessment and design and to ensure the stakeholder’s environmental and sustainability requirements are understood and managed so as to minimise petition risk and to support the development of a world class railway.
· Working closely with the Area Senior Environment Manager, manage area environmental support to the hybrid Bill team and preparation of petition responses and reports to Select Committee.
· Working closely with the Area Senior Environment Manager, manage the response to general internal and external enquiries (including FOI, EIR and PQ requests) on area environmental (including EIA, TA and EqIA) matters to ensure timely, consistent, robust and assured responses.
· Support the Area Senior Environment Manager on internal and external reporting of environmental matters.
· Ensure full audit trail of key decisions and compliant data management to enable effective petition management, efficient handling of enquiries (including FOI and EIR) and to ensure that statutory requirements are met.
· Working closely with the Area Senior Environment Manager, provide area environmental input into relevant HS2 Ltd reports and briefings to Ministers to enable robust decision making.
· Proven ability to manage individuals, consultants and to work across multidisciplinary teams.
· Strong numeracy, written and verbal communication skills and the aptitude to rationally explain, explore and discuss environmental issues to a range of stakeholders.
· Strong IT skills and proven working ability to use Office based software, including Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook, coupled with an aptitude towards learning and utilising new software in the office environment (training will be provided in the use of the internal document management systems).
· A good understanding of GIS, SharePoint and eB is also desirable.
· Bachelor degree (or equivalent) in a relevant environmental/ built environmental discipline.
· Membership of a relevant environmental/ built environmental organisation.
· Proven knowledge of EU and UK environment legislation and current best practice guidance.
Type of Experience:
· Experience of preparing/ reviewing material for and attending public consultations.
· Experience of working under extremely tight deadlines and in a constantly changing project environment.
Note: All government funded organisations are required to ensure that any personnel employed or engaged by them to work in their offices or on their systems, comply with this standard. The check criteria involves verification of identity; nationality and immigration status; employment history (past 5 years) and criminal record.
At Bechtel we offer a competitive salary package with the opportunity for flexible working to achieve greater work-life balance. Employee wellbeing is at the centre of our business and Bechtel is committed to offering you the benefits and resources to live healthy lives. We can offer:
· Flexible Working
· Private Medical Coverage
· Life Insurance Program
· Pension Scheme
· Employee Assistance Program
· Long Term Disability Scheme
Please speak with your Bechtel recruiter to determine what COVID-19 safety protocols apply to the work location for the job you are seeking. The protocols for the position may be different from those of your current work location and may include a vaccination or testing requirement. Should you be selected, you will be required to comply with the COVID-19 safety protocols of your new work location.
Bechtel’s internal staffing policy includes the minimum time that you need to be in your current position before applying to a new position. Please refer to the applicable policy manual and ensure you meet the minimum requirements.