We encourage applications from people from all backgrounds and aim to have a workforce that represents the wider society that we serve. We pride ourselves on being an employer of choice. We champion diversity, inclusion and wellbeing and aim to create a workplace where everyone feels valued and a sense of belonging. To find out more about how we do this visit: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/ministry-of-justice/about/equality-and-diversity.
Overview of the job
This is an administrative managerial job within an establishment.
The job holder will be responsible for managing the administrative processes within the Business Hub, assisting the management of business processes ensuring data integrity, adhering to financial principles, policy and procedures. They will provide accurate and reliable business management information to support performance measures within the establishment.
This is a non-operational job with line management responsibilities.
Responsibilities, Activities and Duties
The job holder will be required to carry out the following responsibilities, activities and duties:
· Manage the transactional activity associated with the Business Hub and the administrative staff within this area. This includes ensuring the following paperwork is complete, checked and ready for onward transmission where applicable:
o Audits and Compliance
o Finance (Stock taking Management of Stores / Prisoner monies / Receivables / Reconciling expenditure / Accruals / Outgoing pay / Inter-unit charges / Cashier / PIN Phones)
o Charitable organisations
o Information Assurance
o Measuring the Quality of Prison Life (MQPL)
o Her Majesty’s Inspectorate of Prisons (HMIP) visits
o Subject Access Requests (SARs)
o Official Correspondence
o Request Complaints
o Risk Register
o Independent Monitoring Board (IMB)
o Action Plans
o Self-audit programme
o Vehicle maintenance
o Procurement including - ordering of staff uniform
o Bank signatory
o Fixed and local assets
o Monitoring contract delivery and performance Undertake other administrative management tasks including:
· Contribute toward the development of local policy, procedures and practice and ensure consistency of application
· Manage devolved budget in accordance with the financial procedures outlined in the budget delegation
· Manage the achievement of Service Delivery Indicators (SDIs) and standards within the work area, verifying and signing off documentation as appropriate
· Attend relevant unit meetings as and when required to provide feedback on good practice examples, to promote awareness for better and more efficient ways of working
· Analyse and act on data collected by the Hub and produce any relevant reports to show findings
· Ensure that data entered into local and national systems is accurate and in accordance with agreed timescales
· Monitor performance of the Hub
· Draft all external and internal communications on behalf of the Hub
· Provide Head of Function with management information relating to the relevant area
· Be responsible for the management of all staff within their area. This includes staff performance, development and annual appraisal through to sickness absence management
· Act as first point of contact for relevant external stakeholders
· Act as requisitioner or approver dependant on local policy
The duties/responsibilities listed above describe the post as it is at present and is not intended to be exhaustive. The Job holder is expected to accept reasonable alterations and additional tasks of a similar level that may be necessary. Significant adjustments may require re-examination under the Job Evaluation scheme and shall be discussed in the first instance with the Job Holder
• Changing and Improving
• Communicating and Influencing
• Working Together
• Managing a Quality Service
• Making Effective Decisions
Able user of MS Word and MS Excel Information collation and analysis
Newly promoted staff to the following Band 5 first line manager roles (Hub Managers, Custodial Managers and Facilities & Services Managers) in Establishments are required to complete a qualification as part of their work objectives where these training packages are available
Staff that have mapped or re‐graded to Band 5 who have previously worked at an equivalent level will not be required to undertake the qualification.
All external staff joining as a Band 5 Hub Manager or Facilities and Services Manager in an Establishment are required to complete the qualification where available.