We encourage applications from people from all backgrounds and aim to have a workforce that represents the wider society that we serve. We pride ourselves on being an employer of choice. We champion diversity, inclusion and wellbeing and aim to create a workplace where everyone feels valued and a sense of belonging. To find out more about how we do this visit: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/ministry-of-justice/about/equality-and-diversity.
Overview of the job
This is a non-operational role supporting the appropriate function.
The job holder will monitor, log and x-ray all deliveries to the establishment and delivery to the relevant internal/external location.
This is a support job with no line management responsibilities.
Responsibilities, Activities and Duties
The job holder will be required to carry the following responsibilities, activities and duties:
· Monitor, log and x-ray all deliveries to the establishment and deliver to relevant areas.
· Request, process and receive goods using Prison finance system when required.
· Prepare and process requisitions, receipt goods in and ensure stock levels are maintained through inventory systems.
· Supervise prisoner workforce in relevant areas.
· Prepare completed manufactured goods for distribution to other establishments.
· Receive and distribute staff uniform/carry out clothing exchange duties (kit change) and transport laundry on a weekly basis.
· Comply with waste management adhering to Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH) regulations.
· Monitor outside storage areas and containers maintaining accurate details.
· Undertake general fork lift truck and Heavy Goods Vehicle (HGV) duties
· Undertake vehicle checks.
· Receive and document all recorded prison mail.
· Distribute/remove office furniture/equipment as required.
· Respond appropriately to invoke emergency procedures in line with Local Security Strategy and National Security Framework. Any initial decisions or actions will need to be referred to management for further action.
Undertake other Support tasks including:
· Log materials used and assist with stocktaking of tools, equipment and materials.
· Undertake activities in such a way to ensure that waste is reduced and that areas of work are safe, clean and tidy whilst work is in progress.
· Inform manager to ensure sufficient levels of stock are maintained.
· Ensure allocated Planned Maintenance and small repairs are carried out, undertaking service requests raised via the computer aided facilities management system.
· Carry out project work when required.
· Advise on sufficient levels of stock and request procurement of goods and services and ensure all materials used are logged and are fit for purpose.
· Escort technical contractors when required, working with and supervising them in accordance with Local Security Strategy (LSS).
· Maintain regular communications via radio net in accordance with (LSS).
· Undertake the role of banksman directing the operation of some plant equipment or machinery.
· Responsible for tools and plant machinery, carrying out checks at regular intervals and completing relevant documentation in accordance with Local Security Strategy (LSS) and National Security Framework (NSF).
· Comply with Health & Safety policies, procedures and legislation to ensure statutory and mandatory compliance.
· Drive estates vehicles and operate plant equipment.
· Operate within command mode in line with local contingency plans.
· Undertake incidental and emergency or urgent tasks and assignments as per Service Delivery Agreement timescales in a safe manner.
· Assemble products on site when required.
· Carry out pest control prevention measures across the estate when required.
· Contribute to prisoner reports including parole and sentence planning.
The duties/responsibilities listed above describe the post as it is at present and is not intended to be exhaustive. The job holder is expected to accept reasonable alterations and additional tasks of a similar level that may be necessary. Significant adjustments may require re-examination under the Job Evaluation Scheme and shall be discussed in the first instance with the job holder.
An ability to fulfil all spoken aspects of the role with confidence through the medium of English or (where specified in Wales) Welsh.
· Working Together
· Managing a Quality Service
· Communicating and Influencing
· Developing Self and Others
· Will require basic knowledge of role and will be required to undertake specific training and courses in work area.
· Will comply with the relevant Health & Safety policies and legislation.
· If required, to undertake and qualify for the appropriate Forklift Driving course and maintain industry based standards to ensure continuance of the qualification.
· Must complete a manual handling course, and undertake basic security awareness and be trained in break-away techniques if deemed required.
Hours of Work (Unsocial Hours) Allowances
37 hour working week
HMPPS Staff on closed pay structures only Additional Conditioned Hours Pensionable (ACHP)
Staff moving from a closed 39 hour pay structure will be eligible for the two protected pensionable additional committed hours (ACHP). They will work a 39 hour week consisting of the standard 37 hour week and a further 2 additional hours (ACHP) paid at plain time pensionable rate.