We encourage applications from people from all backgrounds and aim to have a workforce that represents the wider society that we serve. We pride ourselves on being an employer of choice. We champion diversity, inclusion and wellbeing and aim to create a workplace where everyone feels valued and a sense of belonging. To find out more about how we do this visit: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/ministry-of-justice/about/equality-and-diversity.
Overview of the job
This is a co-ordination and senior administrative role in the Divisional office, Function / Cluster local offices.
The jobholder will provide corporate support office-based activities to support the work of the Divisional and operational teams.
The jobholder acts as an interface between the Hub Manager, Business Manager and colleagues and other partners on a wide range of issues.
The job holder will report to the Hub Manager in Divisional offices and Business Manager in Function or Cluster offices and will have line management responsibilities for Administrative Assistants, Case Administrators and other administrative staff
The purpose of the role is to ensure efficient and effective business support and operational administrative services are provided to the Division, Function or Cluster.
The jobholder will support the Business Manager to ensure effective compliance with Health, Safety and Fire Regulations, acting as Single Point of Contact / Estates Liaison Officer for the buildings from which they operate.
In line with NPS policies and procedures, the job holder must at all times demonstrate a commitment to equality and inclusion and an understanding of their relevance to the work they do.
The post holder must adhere to all policies in respect of the sensitive/confidential nature of the information handled whilst working in this position
Responsibilities, Activities & Duties
The job holder will be required to carry out the following responsibilities, activities and duties:
• Development and implementation of business administration systems, databases and recording systems to support operational probation delivery.
• Preparation and collation of a range of documentation for a variety of purposes to support effective divisional, functional or cluster business activity and operational probation delivery
• Maintenance of ( or supporting the relevant Business Manager to maintain) Divisional, functional or cluster Registers such as Serious Further Offences, Freedom of Information, Accidents, Complaints, inputting data, monitoring agreed probation processes and ensuring completion in specified timescales
• Collection and distribution of monies to/from Imprest, and maintenance of related records.
• Act as Vetting Contact Point for the relevant division, function or cluster
• Monitor Travel Warrants, Bus passes, cheque book requests and assist with Purchase Orders where required, and within the agreed procurement arrangements
• Attend meetings and events to represent the relevant Business Manager as agreed from time to time
Health, Safety & Fire
• Ensure the timely reporting of problems, including repairs, defects and security issues with the building(s) to facilities contractors and maintain progress to reach satisfactory conclusions and ensure equipment is in good working order.
• Undertake and co-ordinate health and safety risk assessments, fire drills and ergonomic assessments at the relevant sites, or ensure they are undertaken. Reporting issues locally and to the Divisional HS&F Manager. Maintaining registers and coordinating training.
• Act as Cardinus Assessor, First Aider and Fire Warden and take forward actions to deal with local issues arising from incidents and DSE Assessments, or ensure that there are sufficient people able to undertake these roles at the relevant sites.
Effectively Manage and Develop staff
• To provide effective management and leadership to the team
• To proactively manage staff development, issues of underperformance, attendance, health and safety, employee relations and diversity matters. Adopt a consistent, fair and objective standpoint when making decisions in relation to individual staff issues
• Contribute to relevant training and development events as a trainer
• Support recruitment activity for relevant posts within the cluster/division
Use communication effectively
• Write reports to support the effective operation of the Division/Cluster/Function
• Participate in meetings where appropriate, using appropriate skills, styles and approaches
• Contribute to the management of the Division/Cluster/Function
Enhance your own performance
• Manage own resources and take responsibility for own professional development
Use information to take critical decisions
• Liaise with staff to receive, collate and analyse information, developing systems and compiling reports as necessary . Using data to identify trends and taking appropriate action to maintain and enhance performance.
• Ensure that all reasonable precautions are taken towards the maintenance, security and confidentiality of written and electronically stored material, in line with the requirements of the Data Protection Act and Information Security Policies and Procedures.
• To ensure that all team resources, , are deployed cost effectively and provide best value
• Undertake (or support locally if the role is held divisionally) the Knowledge and Information Liaison Officer role offering advice and guidance to OMs in completing such requests and work with Data Access Compliance Unit to complete responses. Acting as Record Retrieval Requestor in line with divisional, function or cluster arrangements.
• Demonstrate pro-social modelling skills by consistently reinforcing pro-social behaviour and attitudes and challenging anti-social behaviour and attitudes
• To work within the aims and values of NPS and HMPPS
The duties/responsibilities listed above describe the post as it is at present and is not intended to be exhaustive. The job holder is expected to accept reasonable alternations and additional tasks of a similar level that may be necessary. Significant adjustments may require re-examination under the Job Evaluation scheme and shall be discussed in the first instance with the Job Holder.
An ability to fulfil all spoken aspects of the role with confidence through the medium of English or (where specified in Wales) Welsh
· Changing and Improving
· Making Effective Decisions
· Delivering at Pace
· Managing a Quality Service
· Developing Self and Others
· Demonstrate previous administration experience, and experience of providing a wide range of management support activities
· Evidence of providing support and assistance to colleagues in delivering a quality service.
· NVQ Level 2 or equivalent
· GCSE Grade A-C in English and Maths (or equivalent)
· IT Skills; Microsoft: Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint (or equivalent i.e. Lotus Notes)
Hours of Work (Unsocial Hours) Allowances