We encourage applications from people from all backgrounds and aim to have a workforce that represents the wider society that we serve. We pride ourselves on being an employer of choice. We champion diversity, inclusion and wellbeing and aim to create a workplace where everyone feels valued and a sense of belonging. To find out more about how we do this visit: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/ministry-of-justice/about/equality-and-diversity.
GMPS are looking for a Senior Operational Support Manager (Band 6) to lead on the delivery of Offender Personality Disorder pathways, including INSIGHT, EVOLVE and other interventions. The successful candidate will have excellent leadership and organisational skills, be experienced in collaborative practice, with some knowledge and experience of this specialist area. This role is about the ongoing delivery of OPD work as well as the development of new and enhanced OPD pathways. Applications are welcome from current Band 5 Senior Probation Officers, or other managers wishing to move into this specialism.
The location of the role is primarily is The Redfern Building, Manchester, but there may be some flexibility on location.
Overview of the job
Working at the direction of the Head of Operational Function the post holder will be deployed to a variety of roles in order to provide strategic support.
To support the Head of LDU Cluster providing management and leadership within the National Probation Service (NPS) Local Delivery Unit (LDU).
To represent the Head of LDU Cluster with external agencies/stakeholders and staff as appropriate.
The post holder must adhere to all policies in respect of the sensitive/confidential nature of the information handled whilst working in this position.
May be required to participate in out of hours on call rota.
Responsibilities, Activities & Duties
Senior Operational Support Manager may be required to undertake any combination, or all, of the duties and responsibilities as directed by the Head of Operational Function as set out below.
• Cluster operational lead on caseload segmentation issues such as Child Sexual Exploitation, Guns and Gangs, Integrated Offender Management etc.
· Operational support to the Head of Cluster within relevant Probation Instruction criteria and rules such as Recall, High Risk of Serious Harm Case Transfers, etc.
· Providing support to the Head of Cluster within the relevant Probation Instruction criteria and rules such as, grievance, discipline, capability, complaints, etc.
· Responsible for the professional development of cluster staff
· Responsible for developing and deploying the Cluster Training Needs Analysis
· Ensure effective cluster employee recruitment and induction
· Act as cluster lead for performance & quality
· Act as cluster lead for audits and inspections
· Operational support to the Head of Cluster in completing reviews and delivery of action plans such as Domestic Homicides, Serious Further Reviews, Serious Case Reviews, etc.
· Responsible for the management of the Business Manager and the administrative support functions within the cluster
· Under the guidance of the Head of LDU Cluster; represent the NPS in local strategic partnerships and ensure appropriate representation within wider partnership frameworks in line with statutory responsibilities and operational policy
· Participate in the Multi Agency Public Protection Arrangements (MAPPA) locally in conjunction with other responsible authorities including the chairing of MAPPA level 3 meetings
· In the absence of the Head of LDU Cluster to make decisions and provide advice on the management of offenders where senior management authorisation or involvement is necessary e.g. authorising the recall of offenders to prison
· Operational support to the Head of cluster in the management of complaints within the cluster and direct involvement in complaint resolution where necessary
· Under the guidance of the Head of LDU Cluster to take the lead on specific divisional or cluster projects/portfolios including Equality and Diversity, Reward and Recognition, etc.
· Operational support to the Head of cluster in cluster compliance with Health and Safety legislation.
· Senior Management responsibility for estates, buildings and maintenance activities within the cluster
· Demonstrate pro-social modelling skills by consistently reinforcing pro-social behaviour and attitudes and challenging anti-social behaviour and attitudes
· Carry out safeguarding children and safeguarding adult duties in accordance with the NPS statutory responsibilities and agency policies
· Work within the aims and values of NPS and HMPPS
The duties/responsibilities listed above describe the post at present and are not exhaustive. The job holder is expected to accept reasonable alteration sand additional tasks of a similar level that may be necessary. Significant adjustments may require re-examination under job evaluation and shall be discussed in the first instance with the job holder.
· Making Effective Decisions
· Working Together
· Delivering at Pace
· Communicating and Influencing
· Managing a Quality Service
· Changing and Improving
· Significant experience at middle manager level, including the management of staff
· Experience of monitoring performance in area of responsibility against predetermined targets, setting local targets and effecting necessary improvements
· Experience of budgetary control incl. procurement
· Experience of managing relationships incl. working with key local agencies and stakeholders
· Evidence of preparing high level written reports to a good standard
A qualification in one of the following areas:
· Probation Qualification Framework Graduate Diploma/Honours Degree in Community Justice integrated with Level 5 Diploma in Probation Practice.
· Or, a qualification which was recognised at the time of qualification by the Secretary of State for Justice as per Section 10 of the Offender Management Act 2007. The following qualifications gained in England and Wales were previously recognised as providing such eligibility:
o Diploma in Probation Studies
o Diploma in Social Work (with Probation Option)
o CQSW (with Probation Option)
Knowledge of the wider criminal justice system
Hours of Work (Unsocial Hours) Allowances
37 hours a week