We encourage applications from people from all backgrounds and aim to have a workforce that represents the wider society that we serve. We pride ourselves on being an employer of choice. We champion diversity, inclusion and wellbeing and aim to create a workplace where everyone feels valued and a sense of belonging. To find out more about how we do this visit: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/ministry-of-justice/about/equality-and-diversity.
Overview of the job
This is an administrative job in an establishment.
The job holder will provide administrative support within the Business Hub including switchboard duties, post distribution, filing, photocopying and typing (if qualified typist).
This is a non-operational job with no line management responsibilities.
Responsibilities, Activities and Duties
The job holder will be required to carry out the following responsibilities, activities and duties:
• Operate the switchboard appropriately by identifying the caller’s needs ensuring all messages are communicated to the appropriate parties.
• Receive, open, distribute and monitor all prisoner mail on a daily basis in line with local and national policies and make sure it is kept securely at all times.
• Receive/distribute all incoming staff mail in a timely manner and coordinate the sending out of prisoner and staff mail.
• Send, collect and distribute faxes to appropriate staff.
• Forward any mail on to establishments for prisoners who have transferred.
• Make sure investigation and hearing tapes are transcribed in an efficient and accurate manner (if qualified typist).
• Provide copy typing provision when required (if qualified typist).
• Keep securely copies of all documentation, either in hard copy or electronic form.
• Process Chaplaincy paperwork including prisoner applications and arranging visits.
• Act as contact point for communications, prioritise and distribute to the appropriate person or relevant department in establishment.
Undertake administrative tasks including:
• Provide administrational assistance in area of work.
• Maintain accurate filing system for area of work.
• Respond to queries relating to area of work, redirecting where required.
The duties/responsibilities listed above describe the post as it is at present and is not intended to be exhaustive. The job holder is expected to accept reasonable alterations and additional tasks of a similar level that may be necessary. Significant adjustments may require re-examination under the Job Evaluation Scheme and shall be discussed in the first instance with the job holder.
An ability to fulfil all spoken aspects of the role with confidence through the medium of English or (where specified in Wales) Welsh.
• Developing Self and Others
• Communicating and Influencing
• Working Together
• Managing a Quality Service