Offering a complete ecosystem of maritime services, including broking, finance, port services and research, Clarksons is at the heart of global shipping. Our unrivalled reach, expertise, and depth of experience, combined with leading research, enables us to partner with clients across every sector to meet the demands of the world’s rapidly evolving maritime, offshore, trade and energy markets. Building on our unique heritage and harnessing our insights to see further, faster, we work with our clients and communities to create strategies that have a positive impact on the industry and the world around us. Dedicated to excellence, it’s our people that drive success for our clients.
To understand more including day-to-day life at Clarksons, visit us at www.clarkson.com
We're able to support clients globally with our comprehensive customs clearance capabilities. Whether a global blue-chip or a small independent, we keep business moving. Our expert team understand the regulations, helping our clients to avoid delays and extra costs when clearing goods.
Discover more at www.clarksons.com/port-services
We have a newly created role for a Trade & Customs Consultant to join our leading go-to customs department. We are looking for an industry specialist to join our Customs team to support exciting new sales and business development opportunities. You will work with clients to provide guidance and solutions for their customs needs and on projects which could include reshaping their customs operations. You will be adept at building strong relationships and have an excellent skill in identifying the root cause of pain points and presenting solutions and recommendations in a comprehensive and detailed manner, that will increase profitability and efficiency.
The impact of this role will result in businesses being able to respond to business-critical issues post-Brexit whilst existing in a significantly changed customs landscape, on a UK and global scale. In an ever-changing landscape, global trade regulation and requirements are at the forefront of our sector’s agendas. Any disruption to the movement of goods can significantly impact supply chains, and so as an industry specialist, you must be able to demonstrate experience in the field of customs and borders and have sound knowledge in all key areas of customs management and regulation (i.e., classification, valuation, origin and special procedures). Experience in a business consultancy role in any sector that involves the movement of goods across international borders will alternatively also be of interest.
This role will be either be based in our Belfast office or could be based at another UK location. What you’ll be doing • Working closely with clients in Customs and Trade to provide them with consultancy solutions to deliver increased and efficient trade.
• Formulating recommendations and solutions with attention to a client’s wishes, capabilities and limitations, and executing assigned business projects on behalf of clients, according to their defined requirements.
• Presenting bid proposals to clients.
• Actively involve expertise of others where needed, working alongside internal teams including the customs and sales teams to create solutions to complex supply chain problems and deliver best-in-class consultancy solutions.
• Building and nurturing good working relationships with clients (both existing and prospective).
• Helping to shape and test market leading solutions using expertise and practical experience.
• Providing thought leadership in customs to support team activities.
• Representing and presenting Clarkson Port Services’ ideas and solutions to a variety of senior stakeholders.
• Attending industry conferences, webinars, and forums to enhance the company’s reputation in the marketplace.
• Additional / ad hoc duties as required to meet the needs of the business.
What we’re looking for
We’d love to hear from you if you: • are open-minded, embracing of change, driven & enthusiastic, and considerate to others • act with integrity • are dedicated to excellence • collaborate & challenge for collective success
Key Skills & Experience
• Proven experience of working within Customs Consultancy or Business Consultancy.
• A solid understanding of UK and EU customs process is preferable.
• A strong understanding of both import and export operations. • Knowledge of supply chains (preferably UK and International), and International Trade working in an environment where you use understanding and knowledge of UK and EU customs processes. • Demonstrate the ability to articulate business requirements and solutions. • Understand the wider business impact of decisions and actions. • Excellent client facing, relationship building and business development skills, coupled with commercial awareness. • Outstanding communication (written and verbal) and inter-personal skills.
• Strong attention to detail and accuracy.
• High level of integrity and commitment.
• Self-starter who is highly organised with good problem-solving ability.
• Able to use own initiative and prioritise.
• Team player with a willing and flexible approach to work.
• Adaptable, able to learn quickly and multi-task.
• Able to work well under pressure and meet deadlines.
• Excellent MS Office skills (Outlook, Word, Excel).